Further Massage Information
Please call our receptionist for practitioner availability and bookings or view our Massage Therapies page to view our practitioners. We look forward to your visit.
• Deep Tissue Massage is a therapeutic treatment especially effective in releasing muscular tension. It particularly focuses on stiff and knotted muscles to the deeper level, using slow and deep strokes across the grain of the muscles to release the tension. It can also release emotional stress in the deeper layers of the body. Throughout the treatment the therapist consults the client regarding the pressure level and the areas that need to be worked.
• Holistic/Swedish Massage therapists seek to identify the individual needs of each client and devise a suitable treatment for the whole person. Holistic massage combines techniques derived from Swedish Massage - Effleurage (stroking), Petrissage (Kneading & Friction), Tapotement (Percussion) and Vibration - using natural plant oils and waxes to allow movement. The therapist may use their hands, knuckles, forearms and elbows to apply the techniques. Treatment is applied direct to the skin to reach the underlying tissues and structures of the body. Clients may have joint, muscular or postural discomfort, or they may be feeling under pressure or stressed and in need of some relaxation. Clients with skin complaints such as Rosacea, and who have excessively oily, dry or sensitive skin may also benefit from the properties of the oils used.
• Hot Stone Massage is a massage using the heat and shape of stones. Basalt stones of a variety of shapes and sizes are heated in a water bath before being used to massage the client. The heat from the stones helps to relax the muscles and the shape of stone will be chosen to be able to pin point areas of muscles tension.
• Pregnancy Massage is a gentle treatment designed to help relax and support your body during a period of physical and hormonal change as well as help prepare the whole body for birth, release muscular tension caused by postural and hormonal changes, as well as increase relaxation. It can also help reduce swelling in the hands and feet by stimulating circulation and promotes a sense of comfort and well-being. Please note that for any high risk pregnancy, you will require a letter from your midwife or doctor. If you are unsure if a pregnancy massage is right for you, check with your midwife or GP, particularly in the first and second trimesters
With Jo Simon This treatment also contains an additional element of Labour Massage – a wonderful practical tool which the woman and her birth partner can use to help with pain relief and to lessen anxiety during labour.
• Shiatsu is a fully clothed Japanese bodywork therapy that includes deep tissue massage, progressive stretches, gentle restorative techniques and deep relaxation. It helps release areas of built-up energy, improve your circulation and will make you feel more in tune with yourself. You remain fully dressed during shiatsu; it’s best to wear non-synthetic, comfortable clothing. Shiatsu can also be very effective in combination with acupuncture to treat musculo-skeletal problems like back, neck and shoulder pain, tension headaches and RSI.
• Sports Massage is a system of specialised massage techniques which target the specific physiological behaviour of muscle and soft tissue. Using deep, dynamic massage the tissues are warmed, stretched and flushed through before targeted work is performed to encourage improved muscle length, flexibility and function. Techniques used include Myofascial Release, Neuromuscular Technique, Soft Tissue Release, and Muscle Energy Technique.
Sports massage is suitable for all people, not just the very active. The therapy can assist in managing postural faults, chronic tension and pain, shoulder and neck pain, and rehabilitation from soft tissue injuries. Sports and exercise participants can also be offered pre- and post-event treatments to maintain optimum muscle function during training and recovery.
Amma is based on the principles of traditional Chinese medicine and works the meridians (energy pathways of the body) using specialised stokes and acupressure to restore correct energy (qi) flow, promoting health, vitality and balanced mood. It is similar to acupuncture but instead of needles, uses the firm gentle pressure of hands and can be beneficial in treating systemic conditions or body system problems, which wouldn’t normally respond to muscular based massage. For this treatment, the client is not required to disrobe but needs to wear loose clothing in order to stretch.
Aromatherapy is an indulgent treat that mixes a gentle holistic massage with luxurious essential oils tailored to the individual needs of the client.
Champissage™ (Indian head massage) works specifically on the head, neck, shoulders and upper back – areas where tension is likely to accumulate. These areas are gently and firmly massaged until the pressure subsides. No need to undress. This treatment takes place sitting upright in a chair. This is booked as a 30 min massage.
Holistic Facial Massage for a deep relaxing effect, the facial massage extends to the front of the shoulders, upper chest and neck, an area of complex layered muscles that tense up easily when stress becomes too much and breathing becomes shallow. By working this area the breath deepens, and by the time we reach the top of the head all worry has melted away. Quality oils with true beauty benefits such as Jojoba (Simmondsia chinensis) and Rosehip (Rosa rubiginosa) to exfoliate, moisturise and revive the skin.
Kansa Vakti Foot Massage is an Ayurvedic treatment from India which has been used for centuries. The treatment involves the use of clarified butter (ghee), or coconut oil. The kansa vatki is a small metal bowl containing zinc and copper which works on the feet and lower limbs during the treatment. The massage helps revitalise tired feet. This is usually a 40 min massage.
Natural Facelift Massage™ has all the benefits of conventional massage therapies; however, it is exceptional and unique by providing many other physical benefits. Skin becomes softer and more supple. The treatment improves skin tone and your complexion looks brighter. The skin has renewed elasticity, and sagging skin and puffiness is reduced. This is a 1 hour massage
Thai Foot Massage is a popular treatment similar to reflexology that works on both the feet and legs using ancient Thai massage techniques to aid stress relief, improve circulation and mobility.
Tibetan Acupressure Head Massage is a blend of western massage strokes with traditional Tibetan acupressure techniques drawing on ancient Tibetan Ayurvedic knowledge. It is a very gentle massage covering head, scalp, neck, throat, shoulders, upper arms and face with the client in a reclining position. It aims to restore balance in energy levels and is deeply relaxing and calming.